Basic Color Theory and Importance
Hello friends, in this tutorial we are going to discuss some basic theory of color and importance.
Each color has its own feeling and value. But it may vary with different -2 community or age groups and personalities, normally bright color make us joy full and happy on the other hand, the dark color express the seriousness and negativity.
Sir Issac Newton gives a first theory of color in 1672, he is the first the understand the colors of rainbow.
Sir Newton observed the way each color of light would bend as it passed through the prism. You may have learned the term “ROY G BIV” (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet) in elementary school science class. “ROY G BIV” was the result of Newton’s discovery.
Color is one of the most important element of visual communication in design. Its make its make design important and meaning full. By only color we can recognized community of design. Its represents the actual meaning of design, like what is the target of this design? Who will affected with this. Which type of audience will appreciate this or not?
Actually a person who does not know any this about designing or about the particular design, but that person can be observed the value of design through color, because colors can feel the emotions of human heart. For example we can say normally light colors are give happiness and energy and on the other hands dark colors pulls us in sadness, serious, and deep thinking.
Color also represent the Human mentality as we can see in dress, the person who is full of life and happy always like the light color dress, puts variety in it. But serious person like dull or neutral color.
Color in Design
1. Useful speed visual search (i.e. road map)
2. Useful to improve object recognition.
3. Use color to enhance meaning. (i.e. set different color to unique object).
4. Color to be use for convey structure (i.e. graphs with different color).
5. To recognize establish identity ( i.e. Company Logo).
6. Color can be use for symbolism (i.e. peace, war).
7. Colors communicates moods.
8. Use color to show associations (i.e. marks in maps).
9. Color represents express metaphors (i.e. energy, joy, sad).
What are the color mode?
There are many color mode in computer as
- RGB Color Mode : This is based on three color (Red, Green, Blue). This color mode combination of two primary color (Red, and Blue) and One secondary color (Green). This color mode always used in Computer graphics and web. RGB color mode is not printable but used on electronic screen. It measured on 256 (0 to 255) shades of each color.
This color is produce from three different electronic beams on screen. When All three beam come together the white color will produce and in absence of all three beams the black color will produce. RGB color mode is 24 Bit Color mode and be produce 16.7 millions color.
- CMYK color mode : CMYK color is the combination of four color (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key… where key is represent of of Black). CMYK is generally used printable document. CMYK is 32 bit color
- Gray Scale Color mode : There only two color in this mode Black & white. Gray scale color mode is work on 256 shades of these color. This is 8 bit color mode.
- Bit map color mode : This is also a two color black and white, but without tint and shades, only solid color of white and black.
- Duotone Color Mode : Duotone is a halftone reproduction of an image using the superimposition of one contrasting color halftone (traditionally black) over another color halftone. This is most often used to bring out middle tones and highlights of an image. The most commonly implemented colors are blue, yellow, brown, and red.
- Lab Color Mode : A Lab color space is a color-opponent space with dimension L for lightness and a and b for the color-opponent dimensions, based on non linearly compressed (e.g. CIE XYZ color space) coordinates. The terminology originates from the three dimensions of the Hunter 1948 color space, which are L, a, and b.
- Multi-channel is used for many things; you can end up in this mode and not know how you got there. Deleting a channel from an RGB, a CMYK, or a LAB image automatically converts the image to Multi-channel mode. This mode supports multiple spot colors.
- Index Color mode : Photoshop built a Look Up Table called (CLUT) for indexed picture, and take 256 shades of color from picture and stored. If the color in original image will not appear in the table, the program will replace with the closed color.
There are six types of color schemes as follows :
- Monochromatics Color Scheme : This color scheme is based on single color from the color wheel and use only tint and shades from same color.
- Complementary Color Scheme : Complementary color scheme is based on two color from color wheel, one one is war color (light color) and another is cool color (dark color).
- Split Complementary Color Scheme : It use three color scheme one color from color wheel and other two is equally spaced from its complement from cool color from color wheel.
- Double Complementary Color Scheme : This color scheme is also called Tetradic color scheme.
- Analogous Color Scheme : This color scheme is used the color location adjacent on each other on color wheel, one color is used as a dominats color and others are used to increach the schemes. It is very similar to monochromatic color scheme but with more variant color and nuances.
- Triad Color Scheme : Triad color scheme divides the color wheel into three equal parts (120° angle). Its provides high visual and contrast to design. Normally the Artists used this color scheme.